If you want to eat for endurance, then you’ve come to the right place! Created by Dr Bircher-Benner in the 1890’s as a healthy meal for his patients in his Zurich hospital, this muesli provides an excellent balance of heart-healthy, sustaining nutrients, including good quality protein, slow-release carbohydrates, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins, minerals and cholesterol-reducing fiber.
Prepared the night before, it’s an ideal quick-fix breakfast, even quicker than pouring a bowl of cereal!
Ingredients - Birchermuesli:
- 1 cup unsweetened muesli with fruit and nuts
- Skim milk to cover the muesli
- Splash of apple juice
- Good grating of nutmeg, or 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon or cardamom
- 1 crisp, fresh apple, grated
- Natural yoghurt
- Running honey to drizzle on top
- Small handful of almonds, toasted, or sunflower seeds
1. Pour over enough skim milk to cover the muesli generously and add a splash of apple juice. Mix in the nutmeg.
2. Leave for a couple of hours, overnight, in the fridge.
3. When you are ready to eat your Birchermuesli, remove from the fridge, stir in the grated apple, and add a dollop of natural yogurt, the almonds or seeds and a good drizzle of honey.
Nutritional information (per serving)
- Energy 266 kcal
- Carbs 42g of which Sugars 21 g
- Salt 0.2 g
- Protein 9 g
- Fat 6g of which Saturates trace
- Fiber 4g