Breakfast Rock Cookies
This adaptation of a traditional British tea-time favorite is loaded with slow-release, sustaining carbohydrate and immune-boosting omega-3 fats and antioxidants, making an ideal pre-workout breakfast snack. Delicious with your morning cup of coffee! Prepare the night before if you’re going to be pushed for time and take a few to keep you going during longer sessions.
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 5 + 15 mins
Ingredients Breakfast Rock Cakes:
- 1/2 cup (60g) walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/2 stick (60g) butter, softened
- 2 tbsp (30g) soft brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (60g) runny honey
- 1 tbsp (30g) golden syrup
- 1 cup (100g) quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 cup (loosely packed) (100g) finely grated carrots
- 1/3 cup (60g) raisins
- 1/3 cup (60g) soft dried apricots, chopped
- 1/3 cup (60g) soft dried stoned dates, chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup (100g) wholewheat flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the walnuts on a baking tray and toast in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove and leave to cool.
- Lightly grease two baking trays with a little butter.
- Place the egg, butter, sugar, honey and syrup in a large bowl and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Stir in the oats, carrots, raisins, apricots, dates, walnuts and spices.
- Add the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda and stir to combine. The mixture will be a soft dough-like consistency.
- Form little rocky mounds with a dessert spoon on the baking trays, leaving space between each mound for the mixture to spread a little.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until golden. With a spatula, transfer the cookies to a cooling tray and leave to cool and crisp up.