Oatmeal with Blueberries, Toasted Walnuts and Honey
Filling, satisfying, nourishing, sustaining. A fail-safe breakfast using oats which gradually release their energy to keep your blood sugar levels nice and steady. What’s more, studies show that oats can lower cholesterol and promote good digestion. What's not to love?
Cook time: 5 minutes
- 1 cup (100g) quick-cooking rolled oats
- 18 fl oz (550ml) water or milk, or 1/2 water, 1/2 milk
- pinch of salt
- Handful of walnuts
- 1 cup (150g) fresh blueberries (or frozen blueberries, defrosted)
- 2 heaped tsp good-quality runny honey, or to taste (Nez Zealand's manuka honey is ideal!)
1. To toast the walnuts, preheat the oven to 325°F, then put the nuts on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
2. Put the oats, water and/or milk into a pan with a pinch of salt.
3. Bring to the boil over a high heat and then turn the heat down and simmer gently for about 5 minutes, or according to time indicated on the pack, stirring frequently. The oats will become thick and creamy.
4. Pour into warmed bowls, sprinkle with the blueberries and nuts and drizzle over the honey.
Nutrition per serving
- Energy (Cal) 382
- Carbohydrate (g) 50 of which sugars (g) 19
- Salt (g) 1
- Protein (g) 12
- Fat (g) 15 of which saturates (g) 2
- Fiber (g) 7